We here at Agile Dudes Inc. eat, breathe, and live social media. So not only do we like to talk about social media news and strategy, we also like to share the more humorous side of it. Since it’s Friday, we’d like to end the working week by sharing with you some fun news and articles we’ve picked up by scouring the net.
1. Review of the Old Spice Campaign (Courtesy of Ignite Social Media)
I’m sure most of you have seen at least one of the Old Spice commercials featuring “The Man Your Man Could Smell Like”. However, the campaign extended beyond TV ads. There was a whole social media aspect called the “Old Spice Responses”, where the actor (Isaiah Mustafah)-still in his Old Spice persona-responds to what is being said about him on Twitter via hilarious video responses. This is a great example of audience engagement. According to Mashable, since Tuesday there has been over 180 of these videos made. These videos have 5.9 million views and 22,500 comments. I’m not sure how much sales or leads this campaign has created, but there’s no doubt that brand awareness for Old Spice have gone through the roof. Check out Ignite Social Media for a fun and insightful review of the campaign. Meanwhile, here’s the final Old Spice Response. We’ll sure miss the guy.
2. Ben and Jerry’s Drops Email Marketing
I’m a personal fan of Ben and Jerry’s and ice cream in general. So it was interesting to hear that they are stopping their email marketing campaign in favor of social media. With so many Facebook and Twitter followers, they’ll definitely get the same if not more exposure by sending a single message to each of these tools. Think of the money they’ll save now since they don’t have to send out mass emails.
3. As you know we’ve been blogging at the Apple Expo blog. During the course of researching on Apple products and news, we’ve found some interesting and fun articles on the iPhone 4 issue. This post by OS X Daily is a composition of some pictures that poke fun of this problem. Here is a nice teaser picture:
4. Here’s a fun infographic that parodies the current state of infographics. I was close to thinking these stats were real. (Courtesy of Cool Infographics.)
5. Yahoo releases the official trailer for “The Social Network”, a movie (not a documentary) about Mark Zuckerberg and the founding of Facebook.
6. In celebration of World Cup 2010, users who used Google Street View of Africa were treated with a vuvuzela weilding peg man (Courtesy of Mashable).
In related news, BBC reports having seen a horse-boy in Aberdeen via Google Street View. The horse-boy became an instant internet sensation, and also drove a lot of traffic to the BBC news site.
And that’s all we have for you this week. We want you to share with us any interesting internet or social media news you have found throughout the week!
With a unique background in Marketing Management from Seneca and a Psychology Honors from UofT Alex brings to the table a unique mix of understanding based on user behavior and website usability and design. An American Marketing Association (AMA) member and a personal user of multiple online platforms, he is also continuously building upon his knowledge and experience in the field to help surpass client expectations
See all posts by alex